Monday, December 31, 2012

Blog December Post 31/Blog12daysxmas Post 7 - IRL

Today's Destiny Card is Efficiency.

On the 7th day of Christmas.... we went for a swim at the beach in the morning and I met a twitter friend in the afternoon.

Prior to today I had only had brief twitter conversations with @lv2photoWorld but because @leesaphilip mentioned to me that @lv2photoWorld was going to be in my town for a few days and put us in contact, we manage to meet IRL (in real life).

@lv2photoWorld and I have some common library industry friends which made conversation a bit easier to get started.  But then we found out something that threw me for a six.  I asked @lv2photoWorld where she lived and that triggered me to mention that I know someone that lives in the same area and would you believe that they are the same people that are looking after @lv2photoWorld animals!!  It is such a small world!!

Since moving down here from Qld, Twitter has been an excellent tool for me to keep in contact with friends, but is also a great networking tool.  I don't get too many networking opportunities, other than once a year conferences and the odd professional development opportunity that may bring me in contact with others in my profession that I am yet to meet.  Twitter allows me to keep networking from the comfort of my home, office or wherever I may be, and to meet new people in my industry.

I can't wait to meet more of my Twitter friends that I haven't met IRL.

Well this is the last post of Blog December but I have another 5 posts left on #blog12daysxmas so I will continue for the next 5 days.  Who knows, it may become a new year resolution of mine to continue to blog regularly to force me to reflect more often.  That said, I don't like to do resolutions - possibly because I don't follow through with them all or I feel too much pressure to do them all!  But isn't that why we make them??

I had planned to list all the books I read in 2012 in this post, but I think I'll leave it to the next post.  I don't think I will get to read as much in 2013 due to my extra job I'm taking on - but I hope to find time to jump in on the regular twitter chats for Read Write Play #rwpchat so I better read something so I can contribute!

Till next year.....

No comments:

Post a Comment