Monday, December 17, 2012

Blog December Post 18 - Spontaneity

Today's Destiny Card is Spontaneity.

I've been called lots of things but spontaneous is not one of them.

I like routine.  And being thrown from my routine can make me feel a bit uncomfortable.

That said - I'm willing to work on this!

I have four days of work left before I have two and a half weeks of leave.  I am now promising that when I am on leave, I will not develop a routine.  I will not feel uncomfortable if for some reason I miss going for a walk during the day, or wake up at a different time, or do something unplanned.  I promise to go with the flow!

We constantly talk about how it is good for libraries to have a similar "look" or layout to them so that once one person has worked out how one library works, they can go into another and not have to re-learn how it works.  It's a consistent approach.

But I think you will agree that libraries need a degree of spontaneity.

We need something that sets us apart from an everyday visit to the library.  Not just a new service being offered or a unique program, but something spontaneous that brings an element of surprise and jolts a library user into thinking that it might be great to come back into the library in case something spontaneous happens again.

I have to admit I'm a bit low on ideas for this one or how it would work (being a routine person and all) - but feel free to share some spontaneous ideas you might have.

I mean maybe we can expand on what we do on Library Lovers Day and on different days offer a book wrapped in brown paper (no not a naughty book) along with a borrowers other books to allow them a spontaneous read.

Or maybe we decide on a beautiful sunny day to take storytime outside without planning for it.

Anyway, you can see my lack of spontaneity is holding me back in coming up with ideas.  But I would love for people to share their ideas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment