Friday, December 7, 2012

Blog December Post 8 - Born to Read

Yesterday I visited my parents down at their caravan and dad was in the van, on the bed reading a book.  This prompted me to think about how, growing up as a kid, I saw my parents read a lot.  My dad would sit in the lounge and read a book often, mum would wait till she was going to bed.

There was a period of time where I don't remember seeing mum read books, but she now reads more frequently then when I was growing up.

The point being is that I grew up in a family of readers.  My brother and sister read a lot and of course, that meant that I ended up a reader.  Although I have heard of cases where everyone reads in the family but one member doesn't so perhaps reading doesn't automatically flow on from having a family of readers - but I'm sure it helps.

As any reader, I have fond memories of books.  I remember when I was very little we went into Brisbane - which was a big thing for us as we didn't go there much as kids.  And it must have been around Christmas time as I remember lots of decorations hanging across the road. 

We went into a book store and all of us kids were allowed to buy a book.  I bought The Clock Book about how to tell the time.  I believe my sister bought Amelia Bedelia - I really love that book!!

Later I remember Tiki Tiki Tembo.

And Meg and Mog.

At school we had book club and mum allowed us to purchase a book each time.  They were all Penguin books and would come in a plastic bag with a Penguin logo on it - I loved getting book club!!

Now I love sharing the joy of reading with my daughter - who apparently could read before starting school but would never read to me - just to everyone else!!

I have already shared with her some of my favourite childhood books but Tiki Tiki Tembo I haven't been able to locate and buy yet, nor the original Amelia Bedelia.

Anyway, it seems apt to put some reading memory post in as the National Year of Reading comes to a close.

What are your reading memories?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon. You should be able to get Tiki Tiki Tembo from Book Depository (free shipping to Australia).

    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Tikki-Tikki-Tembo-Mosel/9780312367480

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Amelia Bedelia too :). Also Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys and Enid Blyton series.

    ReplyDelete