Thursday, December 6, 2012

Blog December Post 7 - Professional Identity/Branding

There have been a few discussions/articles floating around of late concerning professional identity and branding.

This came through my feed last night - Building your professional presence

I don't think too hard about how I come across to people on my networks.  However, I do try to remain professional even when putting slightly personal things out there.  I suppose in the social media sense, I have a line that I try not to cross.

That said, with this blog I mix it up between professional and personal.  And honestly, I find at times when I'm trying to write something along the lines of being professional, I don't regard my writing ability to be professional.  You see that last sentence probably didn't even make sense.

I follow a lot of blogs by fellow library professionals and I am continually floored at how well some people manage to put their thoughts/arguments/opinions out there.  I try to do that but more than often my words get caught up and I possibly don't make much sense.

I also try to find interesting things to discuss on this blog and share articles on interest on Twitter.  But I think that there are people out there that are much better at this professional identity/branding thing than I am - possibly because as I said before, I don't think too hard about it.

I suppose with me, I am what I am and I try hard not to be someone I'm not so you can often tell when I'm trying too hard!  Again you are possibly lost at what I just said!!

You see that is my main problem - forming a post that actually makes sense.  When I'm exercising I often come up with some really good posts (ok I think they are good) and then when I sit down to write them, I'm at a loss.

It could be that I do posts in the morning which means I'm rushed for time - but as a mother and full time working, when am I not rushed for time.

Regardless, the article mentioned above does make you stop and think about your professional networks and how you come across to others.  So I recommend you have a read and then think about your own professional networks and whether you do have an identity or brand that you try to put out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment