Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Blog June Post 27 - Rainy Days

I promise not to talk about weather too much but it is a dismal looking day outside with rain and wind.  It's about 12'C so not as cold as other days but the rain and wind make it feel colder.  Today I don't mind the weather because it will make the library feel that more cosy.  I remember many a day seeking refuge in a library when it was cold and wet.  Snuggled up in a quiet corner away from the people dashing around the wet city streets and feeling that wonderful feeling of coziness -which somehow makes the book your are reading all that more good!!

Today I have to do baby bounce since my colleague is on holidays.  It's been a while since I've done baby bounce or storytime and there is quite a large group that comes to our library.  I hope I keep up and give them a good session!!  I suspect if the weather keeps up there may be less of them as it's not baby friendly weather.  There is limited parking near our library so most have to walk a fair way - in this weather, with a pram, I can imagine I'd prefer to stay at home.

The public school teachers are striking here today so I guess we will have a few more kids in the library than usual.  I hope they don't come in all wet as most seem to do when it is raining.  I then have to make sure they sit down on the vinyl chairs rather than material chairs so they don't leave wet seats everywhere.  We had a few in yesterday as some schools must already be on holidays.  We took a few calls from their parents asking us to tell them it was time to go home etc.  The kids are generally well behaved but we did have a few library users comment on our role as babysitters during the holidays.  I don't think we can avoid it.

Holidays start next week and we have illustrator, David Legge coming to the libraries on Tuesday.  This should be an exciting visit.  Last holidays we had author Anna Feinberg and illustrator Sara Davis.  Both sessions were a blast!  I sometimes think I have more fun than the kids.  But with every event we host, there is that moment of shear panic thinking no one will show!!  And sometimes no one does show and sometimes the author/illustrator is precious and has a go at me about my lack of ability to advertise properly to get a crowd, and other times they are very understanding and just thank me for inviting them.  It is just the way it is down here - most times people don't want to commit so won't book and then show up, or will book and don't show up.

Monday we are having a special morning tea for the hanging of a special piece of art.  Each year Bellingen hosts Camp Creative.  This year they had some elders from our local Gumbaynggir tribe assist camp goers in creating an artwork.  This piece is going to be hung in the library foyer.  We though it was appropriate to do this during NAIDOC week.  So the Camp Creative organisers have done a wonderful job at organising everything, including a bush tucker morning tea for invited guests.  The library is really just the host for both the morning tea and art work.  It should be a great morning!!

As far as school holiday activities are going - David is it for my libraries.  Limited staffing resources means I can't really plan any activities.  However, I have a few ideas up my sleave for next holidays.

Well the rain is continuing to fall and it is time to move the washing from the machine to the dryer -  tick tick tick - yep I can see the electricty meter ticking away and dollar signs flashing by - Sigh!!

No comments:

Post a Comment