Saturday, June 9, 2012

Blog June Post 10 - sleep overs

My daughter had a friend sleep over last night.  As a result, I am very tired.  How come kids never seem to show any sign of tiredness even though they didn't sleep much?  They wake up with as much energy as they had when they went to sleep the night before.  I wish I could bounce back so quickly.

I guess the reason I didn't get much sleep didn't stem from the fact that I went to bed later than usual but more from not being used to being in a bed by myself.  I usually sleep with my daughter - I know she is 6 and I shouldn't but it is my bonding time with her since I'm at work all day.  And in winter she is my hot water bottle!

So her and her friend slept together and I slept in my own bed.  Hubby took to the lounge room because he knows his snoring keeps me awake.  He's back in our bed now that the girls are up.

I must get used to being able to sleep well when I'm alone in a bed.  When I'm away at Zone Meetings or conferences, it can really drain my energy because I don't sleep well.  Does anyone else have the problem of not sleeping well when away from home?  Do you have any advice on how to deal with this?

I will be going to a conference at the end of July - Imagine.  I'm looking forward to it so much.  The Regional Librarian and I will be sharing a two bedroom apartment and we are driving down to Port Stephens together.

I have a list of libraries that we hope to visit on our way down - just to make it a proper road trip.  I love visiting libraries and meeting other library staff and getting ideas.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that likes doing that.

I also hope to use the resort heated pool and gym while I'm staying there.  I found at the last conference I went to that I felt a lot better by getting up early and doing 30mins to an hour of exercise to start the day.  I will do the same in Port Stephens.  I'm not sure if the indoor heated pool will appeal because it is winter - I know heated pools are warm but it is the getting out in the cold that I don't like.  I will see how I go.

Of course, I am also excited about catching up with everyone and the conference program looks interesting too.  I will be able to test my tablet out for tweeting and may even try to blog each night - well at least do some reflection.

While the night social activities look good - I am again pacing myself.  There are welcome drinks/food on the Tuesday, and the conference dinner on the Thursday night, but Wednesday night delegates have the option of going out to dinner at two locations.  The Regional Librarian and I decided that we would have a night in - to recharge, reflect or even watch a movie.  At the last conference we did this.  We went and saw Breaking Dawn Part 1 together.  We both felt it gave us time away from having to be switched on.  Because you do get exhausted after being switched on all the time.  So that is our plan!

Anyway, back to my lack of sleep last night.  Well another thing that added to it was I had a dream that I was getting ready to go to Port Stephens but I ended up late and then when I got there I hadn't packed any clothes.  A silly dream I know but I woke up straight after that dream so it has unsettled me.

So I apologise for not having an exciting or thought provoking post this morning but it would be fun to hear about any conference dreams anyone has had that have been somewhat amusing or scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment