Friday, June 8, 2012

Blog June Post 9 - Memories


This post does is not meant to be something to give me a "big head" or boost my ego. It is merely a process of looking back at what others have said about me a long time ago and where I am now. It was prompted by me looking for my birth certificate - it appears I have lost it for a second time during a move - and finding a box full of memories. So here goes.

This was from 1992 when I did work experience at a library when I was in year 10:

Sharon worked well is very keen to enter the library field. She is a little quiet but that is expected at her age.

This one is after I had worked at a library for 12 mths while I was completing my library technician course - I was 18 at the time :

I have worked with Sharon at the ..... for approximately the last 12 months. During this time I have worked along side Sharon in the capacity of a Library Assistant. Sharon is a very pleasant lady and displays well mannered working habits.

An important aspect of her job attitude is her willingness to be self motivated and a "team member." Sharon has great enthusiasm for Library work and is dedicated to her job.

I wish Sharon the very best in her future and can recommend her personally as a fellow worker as an asset to any future position.

I just love the work experience comment. The librarian there at the time had been there for a very long time and was nearing retirement. I actually think she had gone beyond retirement but everyone looks old when you are a teenager.

I love her comment about being quiet but it is to be expected at my age. I believe I was 15 at the time. I don't see too many 15 year olds these days expected to be quiet - but I suppose most of them have their iPods on or are on the phone texting or facebooking so perhaps we haven't changed.

Here's another one from when I was working and completing my library technician course:

Sharon Eileen Benstead undertook part of her field work for the Associate Diploma of Applied Science (Library Technician Studies) at the ...... from 28 February to 1 May 1996. Sharon's performance during this time was so impressive that she was offered a casual position at the ..... following her completion of her field work program.

Sharon's duties have mainly involved circulation desk activities using the ANZ URICA library system. Her tasks in this area include charging and discharging library items, taking reservations and video bookings, preparing overdue notices and answering reference queries.

Sharon also performs the role of Duty Library Officer on two mornings per week at the ....library. In this position Sharon is solely responsible for the operation of library services on this campus and as well as undertaking the circulation desk duties outlined above she is required to start up and shut down the library system.

While the majority of Sharon's work has been in the circulation area, she has also performed a variety of technical services tasks. These include bibliographic verification of items to be ordered and price checking using the.... library network online union catalogue, the .... local INMAGIC acquisitions database and Book-Find CDRom.

Throughout her field work and employment at ...., Sharon has displayed a high level of interest in al facets of library operation. She has a good understanding of library systems and procedures and is able to work efficiently and effectively with minimal supervision.

Sharon always demonstrates a responsible, friendly and helpful attitude towards library clients. She enjoys good working relationships with other staff and her cooperative approach in negotiating allocation of tasks and roster arrangements have made her a valued team member.

I have no hesitation in recommending Sharon as a competent, enthusiastic and committed Library Technician.

I look back at these references and I think about how I felt at the time. I was very shy and very nervous serving people at the desk. The bullying I had received during my schooling years really dented my confidence and it really wasn't until I took up a position in Emerald, Central Qld that I managed to come out of my shell. I can only put that down to moving away from everything I knew and everyone that knew me to a place where I could start afresh. No one there knew that I had been bullied or that I was the chubby girl from school. I was just Sharon the new Library Technician who came from Ipswich.

While I was still a bit unconfident in Emerald, it was having to take the first step of putting myself out there to make friends that really helped. I still have moments of lack of self confidence - probably more than I should - but I think we all have those moments.

The other day I was talking amongst colleagues about former employers providing bad references. I have always thought when asking my supervisor for a reference that I would only ask if I knew I would get a good one. But I suppose you just don't know what they are going to say.

Has anyone out there been shocked by being informed that they had received a bad reference?

What do you do when you are trying to get out of a toxic environment where you haven't got on well with your supervisor but you need to provide them as a reference?




No comments:

Post a Comment