Saturday, June 16, 2012

Blog June Post 17 - Visitors

Today one of my good friends from Qld is coming to visit.  Elizabeth and I have known each other almost 18 years.  We worked together in my first place of work.  Even though I have moved away and come back various times, we still remain good friends.

I'm glad the weather is fine as I hope to take Elizabeth and Jill (who is accompanying her and I have not yet offically met but is also a library professional) down to the foreshores to check out the boardwalk and have some fish and chips or some other yummy take away.  Urunga looks so much better when the sun is shining.

Elizabeth and Jill have been partaking on a road trip of Northern NSW.  She phoned me a week ago letting me know they would be in the area and when would be a good time to catch up.  I was excited for her to be on a road trip.  I love road trips and exploring little towns that you never usually get to see if you stick to the main tourist routes.  Of course, I'm always on the look out for the local library and will drag my family through it and take photos!!

Pre child my hubby and I used to go for weekend drives and explore roads that weren't main highways.  We would always discover some nice little spot with a view or beside a creek/river/lake.  We don't do that as much now because the cost of fuel and the fear of my car breaking down - as it doesn't have a good track record when it comes to weekend drives - even though it isn't very old - things that you would never think could go wrong with a car go wrong with mine.  But I think when my hubby is working again we should go and explore again.

My next road trip is down to Port Stephens, Nelson Bay, Shoal Bay for the Imagine library conference.  I have mapped out some libraries to visit along the way.  I can't wait!!

But back to friends.  When I think about my good friends, they are all library professionals.  There are about half a dozen who are not, they are the mums I met during mum's group and have remained in touch with since moving to NSW.  I always make sure to catch up with them when back in Qld.

Down here in NSW, I don't have any really close good friends as yet.  Most of the people I know are through work, parents of kids that go to my daughters school and library professionals that work at other libraries in our Zone.  I miss the times when I could just phone a friend and catch up for coffee (hot chocolate for me) and go shopping.  I miss the mother's group meet ups with the kids the same age and having something in common with them other than our kids.

Don't get me wrong, I am slowly making some great friendships down here but life does get in the way.  Weekends for me are a time out and I don't always want to spend time talking to people - when you talk to people all week you crave time away from that.  Hence, why I love to escape in a book on the weekend.

But my weekends are also full of boring chores like washing clothes, cleaning the house, doing the grocery shopping, taking my daughter to swimming lessons.  So by the time all that is done the best things I get to enjoy are my afternoon walks (my thinking time) and relaxing with a book or the Sunday newspaper.  Weekends need to be more than 2 days long!!

No comments:

Post a Comment