Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Blog June Post #6 - weather it will, weather it won't

Weather is usually a topic of conversation that you resort to when you have nothing else to talk about, but not in this case.  What has prompted my discussion of weather is yesterday the East cost of NSW had an exciting (probably not the case for everyone) weather event happen.  A deep low came up the coast from the South.  It also affected some parts of Victoria with some serious flash flooding.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, by the time it reached us in the early hours of this morning, the rain part had disinergrated and we are now left with some strong gusts of wind.  It did cause the power to go off but I didn't notice because I was asleep and only know because the clocks are flashing - another good reason why I rely on my mobile phone alarm to wake me up!!

Weather has always struck me as an interesting topic.  I love watching shows about the tornadoes in the US and can totally understand a persons fascination with trying to understand weather and why such things as tornadoes happen.

Prior to moving down here, we lived in South East Qld (Ipswich) and it had been in drought for almost 10 years.  We felt much depression watching storm clouds brew only to pass to either side of where we lived or offer nothing but a light show and some noise.  Not to say we didn't get some bits of rain, but mostly it was disappointment.

Within the first year of moving here, it flooded around 12 times.  We had some ridiculous amount of rain - 3638 mm.  Now we have times when we crave the consistency that Qld weather used to provide - you would at least have a week of sun (maybe not so much at the moment).  For 3 years we have been cheated of a proper summer.  Lots of rain and not much heat.

So what does this have to do with libraries?  I will share with you a story that happened to my libraries.  In April 2009, we all headed down to Wagga Wagga for my graduation.  When we left we knew there was a weather event coming - the now famous East coast Low.  However, there is no way we could've predicted (well no one could) what happened.

I had my laptop with me and there was wireless internet available in the cabin we were staying in (at a cost).  So I was following the weather back home.  I also called my branches to make sure everything was running smoothly.

Now since I was not there, I was relying on my staff to tell me what was happening.  Dorrigo reported that yes it was wet but there was no flooding and nothing to be concerned about there.  Bellingen reported that it was wet and stormy and the river was coming up (it comes up often so not too much of a concern), and Urunga said that yes it was stormy and lots of wind but don't worry.

As time went on the radar on the BOM was sort of indicating that perhaps there is something to worry about because I had never seen black and red in so many places and it wasn't moving.  It was hovering over our area.  Of course, in Wagga Wagga there was not a drop of rain.

Another call to my staff.  Dorrigo was still ok, Bellingen the power was off so I suggested it was probably ok to go home and put a sign on the door.  Urunga well they mentioned that the bowling club across the road was about to get flooded - hmmm - my response - why are you still there????  Get out of the library now.  Their response - but what if someone needs the library? My response - I really don't think that they could possibly get to the library unless they had a floatation device!!

So they did leave but they had put themselves in danger.  One of the staff got their husband to drive through water to the front door of the library and get them out.  I won't mention that I had said to put anything we thought needed replacing on the floor in case the water did come in!! Shhhh!!

Now at this point I will mention that we don't have a disaster plan.  Yes we should have one.  I believe that at that stage council didn't have one in place either so I can't blame my staff for trying to go down with the ship.  I suppose in some sad way it did show an interesting aspect of customer service!!  And I do believe that in our communities there are probably some people that would come to the library in times like this and think that it should be service as normal!!

So now there is a task on my list - develop a disaster management plan and also a procedure to follow to indicate at what point you should be leaving the library and going home.

I suppose there were many libraries that, like us, didn't have a disaster management plan and now do, especially since the floods/fires in Victoria, NSW and Qld.

Do you have an interesting weather event that you would like to share?

I have more to write on this topic but I have run out of time - I have to head up to Grafton again today.  And I will report that the winds are now a little more than strong gusts - I would hate to be anyone camping/caravaning down at the caravan park on the foreshores at the moment.  I hope they have strong ropes and I hope my car doesn't get blown off the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment