Sunday, June 23, 2013

#blogjune Post 23 - Lazy Sunday or Going to Karly Lane's Book Launch

I was going to post some of my funny poetry that won me some baby stuff when I was on maternity leave with Miss A - but alas, I can't find the book that I wrote it all down in.

So now I'm at a loss what to post about.

This afternoon I went to Dymocks book store at Park Beach Plaza in Coffs Harbour for Karly Lane's book launch of her new book, Burnt.

I actually purchased the book when it was first available as an ebook, but this afternoon I purchased a print copy for our library.

I have been a fan of Karly since reading The Cattleman's Runaway Bride about 3 years ago.  Karly also writes as Karlene Blakemore-Mowle.

I have had the pleasure of hosting Karly at Bellingen Library twice, well three times if you count the session she did as part of this year's Bellingen Readers and Writers Festival.  I like to support local authors, and Karly is really down to Earth and friendly, which helps when organising book talks in the library.

This afternoon was very enjoyable.  A couple of other local authors also turned out to congratulate Karly on the launch of new book.  Greg Barron and Jenn J McLeod have also been kind enough to talk at my library.  Even though I am not an author/writer, Karly, Jenn and Greg make me feel a bit like part of the support team.  I highly recommend Karly's, Greg's and Jenn's book(s) to all so go and buy (or borrow) them!!

Greg will be at Dymocks Coffs Harbour next Saturday at 11am to launch his second book, Savage Tide.

It is interesting attending book launches at book shops and then wondering if they are more successful for authors then visiting libraries.  I mean, at book shop book launches, people can purchase the book, whereas at the library, most people assume that the library already has a copy or will purchase a copy and wait for that to become available to loan, rather than spend the money.

However, I think libraries offer a more comfortable conversation space then book shops - or maybe I just get distracted by all the other books available in the book shops that I find myself looking more at what is on the shelves, then paying attention to what the author is saying.  What do you think?

Regardless, it was somewhat booky weekend for me.  I started reading my TBR pile and finished of The Farmer's Wife by Rachael Treasure this morning.  However, I have not even started watching anything in the TBW pile.  Let's hope there isn't much work from 2nd job this week so I might be able to sneak in some reading and watching!!


No comments:

Post a Comment