Monday, June 10, 2013

#blogjune Post 11 - My First Library Job

A few of the other #blogjune participants have posted about their first library job:

My first ever library job was as a library monitor in my primary school library.  The librarian let me stamp the books that the other students were taking out and put spine labels on the books.  I even got to shelve the picture books and fiction books.

My library monitor position continued into high school where I was allowed to cover the books.  This was in exchange for getting first pick at the new fiction that came into the library - I thought this was a pretty good deal.

My previous post, Once upon a time, shares more about my journey into libraries for those interested.

Upon leaving high school in 1994, I began my Associate Diploma of Applied Science (Library Technician Studies) at Southbank TAFE Morningside Campus in 1995.  It was through the work experience component of this course that I got my first job as a casual library assistant at my local public library.

Most of the work was on weekends and involved circulation and shelving.  I was very shy back then and remember being extremely nervous serving customers so would often negotiate with the other staff so I could spend most of the time shelving.

The casuals in the weekend shift pretty much stayed the same for the year and half that I worked there before moving on to my other jobs.  I still stay in touch with some of them who are still working in the same library.

I also picked up another casual position through work experience and found myself with two casual jobs in 1996 - the public library position and a casual technician role at the local TAFE library.

I didn't have a license or car at the time so I remember lots of train trips and the odd time of my dad picking me up or dropping me off if my shift started outside of train timetable times.  Waiting times for weekend trains were very long and I spent a lot of time reading or studying.

Both of these positions provided me with a good base to land my first full time position 800km from home at a TAFE in Central Qld.  It was this role that brought me out of my shell.  And it wasn't really the job that did that, more the fact that I was a long way from home and I didn't know anyone.

I recommend starting fresh in a place where no one knows you as a way of breaking down any shyness you may have and allowing you to learn some great life lessons.

While the job allowed me to develop my skills and build up experience, it was more the fact that I was a long way from home, in a rural area and didn't know anyone that built up the skills I use today in libraries.  Being forthcoming in introducing myself; being able to jump out of my comfort zone when needed; and being able to work in a place where there is limited resources.  These skills and experiences are what I have fallen back on constantly throughout my career.

What skills and experiences have you learnt over the years that continue to assist you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment