Monday, June 13, 2016

#blogjune Post 14 - Back to work

Alas, the long weekend is over and it's back to the grind.  Thank goodness it's only a 4 day week and next week will only be a 4 day week too because we are heading to a wedding in Qld.  I could get used to these 4 day weeks.

This morning it was up at 4.30am to meet my running buddy for a 12km easy run at 5.30am.  Hmm, since my running buddy is naturally speedy, it was not going to be an easy run.  We decided to head out along Yellow Rock Rd, which runs along beside the river and has paddocks on the other side.  A nice run when you can actually see the scenery - this morning it wasn't till we headed back that we could see anything.

The Garmin played up around 4km and started dropping in and out.  This stuffed us up a bit because we were sure the turn around was at a particular point but we had not hit 6km yet.  So we decided to turn at 5km and add a bit of a detour on our way back.  By the end it felt like we had done more than 12km but if it's not recorded on the Garmin/Strava then it never happened so we had to make sure we had done the 12km according to the watch!

Funnily enough, when I uploaded the run to Strava, it did say 12.3km (still think we did more) and apparently we went swimming across the river to North Beach.  I think Garmin was confused - perhaps it doesn't want to get back to work either!

This sort of leads in to how much I rely on technology to track my runs.  And how disappointed I get when for whatever reason it doesn't work out right.  Mind you, I do not live by the watch when I run.  In that way, I mean I don't hang off every km split it give.  Due to completing the Run Down Under virtual run around Australia, I'm more concerned that I track my km's.  And it does help having something track how far you've gone rather than trying to measure it out yourself by driving the track first.  I wonder how they did it all before km tracking watches?!?

2 comments:

  1. I know garmin/strava fail from my biking and can relate to your comment.. if it's not on STRAVA did it count? Heard an interesting researcher @DALupton about this. Her blog site https://simplysociology.wordpress.com/2014/09/02/new-project-on-fitness-self-tracking-apps-and-websites/

    ReplyDelete