Saturday, June 4, 2016

#blogjune Post 5 - Where do you get your news from?


Image result for news and social media

It was a bit of a sleepless night for me last night as the East Coast Low formed and made for some very heavy, torrential rain and cyclonic winds.  It's always worse at night because you can't see what's happening around you.

I was pretty much stuck to Facebook all of yesterday, getting updates from the emergency services sites as well as people living in the area.  Not once did I go to a news website.

In recent times, I have been relying more and more on social media to get me news.  Yes at times there can be fake news reports - usually about a famous person's apparent death.  But the majority of the time, especially when it comes to local news, I find out about it first on Facebook.  Then usually follow up (depending on how big the story is) on a news site.

This makes me ponder how the role of the journalist may change or is changing.  They have to be there when it happens - but how??

I also noted when I took the ABC Vote Compass when it asked where I get my news from (I think that was one of the questions - I was so upset at how targeted the questions were to one party or the other that I might have forgotten what was asked), social media was not one of the responses to choose from.  Please correct me if I'm wrong for those that may have done it.  By the way, I was not happy with the response it gave me because it was one of three of the well known parties.  I was interested to see if my thoughts pushed me to a different political party.  I won't go into politics this morning as it can divide people so easily.

Anyway, as the flood waters start to go down - although there appears to be a bit more rain coming our way - I will relish another wet weather day of lazing around the house.

Where do you get your news from?

No comments:

Post a Comment