Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Blog12daysxmas Post 9 - Perseverance

Today's Destiny Card is Perseverance.

On the 9th day of Christmas... I reflected on how far I have come as a swimmer.  A swimmer you ask??  Yes a swimmer.

Back in 2010, fellow council employees who I had been doing lunch time walks with convinced me I should join them swimming laps at the council pool at lunch time during summer.

Don't get me wrong, I can swim but I don't swim correctly.  I swim with my head above water and I wouldn't say my strokes are 100% correct either.  But it gets me from A to B and it proved to be quite the exercise I needed - a change is as good as anything.

So every swimming season (Oct-Apr) since 2010 I have been doing laps with my fellow exercise nuts at lunch time.

Last season I had worked up to 50 laps of a 25m pool but this year I've been pushing to do 40 so I'm thinking my counting was really wrong last season or I really am slower this season.  But the reason I am slower this season.... is because this season I was pressured into purchasing some goggles and putting my head under water!!

I should start by explaining why I hadn't stuck my head under water previously - it all comes down to breathing and psychology.  I suffer from allergies (unsure what to) and so my nose is often blocked or running so I find it important to be able to breathe at any point in time without having to think about lifting my head out of water.  I also suffer from claustrophobia so find goggles restrict my sight resulting in a sense of being closed in.  And I hold my breath when going under water instead of blowing bubbles.

So I had three things to overcome.

I started by doing my laps as normal but sticking my head under and blowing bubbles when using my kick board.

I then started sticking my head under and blowing bubbles when doing breast stroke.

Freestyle took a bit longer to manage.  Possibly because it puffs me out the most so I feel I need to breathe the most when doing it.

But finally, after four weeks I have mastered it - I have persevered and I am now doing all strokes - well free style and breast stroke with my head underwater.

It is funny though, because when I blow bubbles I humm.  And I count while I'm humming when I do free style so I know when to turn my head to breath.

It is a work in progress because it is not perfect and I have moments of panic.  But perseverance has prevailed and now I wonder what else I can achieve!!

Today Miss A (thanks @lv2photoWorld) and I are going to the pool for a splash - Miss A has regular swimming lessons during school term but she has never been in a "big" pool.  I won't be swimming laps but at least when I do a few strokes I'll be doing them correctly in front of my child.

No comments:

Post a Comment