Thursday, January 3, 2013

Blog12daysxmas Post 11 - We are one, are we not?!

Today's Destiny Card is Harmony.
  1. The combination of simultaneously sounded musical notes to produce chords and chord progressions with a pleasing effect.
  2. The study or composition of musical harmony.
Synonyms
concord - accord - unison - agreement - unity
I'm actually at a loss of what to post.  In fact, something I read this morning has upset me but as most of those discussing it think it is not worth wasting the energy to respond to it, I'm reluctant to post about it.

But at the same time, I'm a bit disgusted that in the LIS profession that something like this has been allowed to be published.


How do you feel after reading that post?

I mean in the Australian Library and Information Associations journal Incite, there was the Library Provocateur that had a column back in 2010 called On the Edge.  But there was never anything as degrading to the profession as what has been published on the Library Journal site.

While our profession is made up of many different industries - public, education, health, etc - I feel that as a profession we are all about unity.  When it comes to fighting for our fellow library professionals whose jobs may be at risk, we all come together to fight the fight.  We don't criticise each other - well not in public anyway 8-)  Which is why I'm a bit stumped as to why Library Journal published this post.

I don't particularly like being referred to as a "professional entertainer" and regarded with looking after a persons entertainment not education.  Well my belief is that public libraries are all about lifelong learning and that can include recreation/entertainment because even if it is not considered "education" you are still learning something when participating in recreational/entertainment pursuits.

Anyway, this is just making me all worked up - which is probably the author of that posts whole goal.

But I am interested in other's thoughts on this.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, how's that for building a divide between librarians in different sectors? I never understood why there was a divide, but clearly when people have opinions like that, there will be. It isn't helpful for our profession is it? :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's quite petty and that is all I would think of it Sharon. I'm surprised there aren't more comments, but them I'm hoping people won't comment and add more fuel to AL's fire. :-)

    ReplyDelete