Monday, February 4, 2013

My Love of The Outsiders Fan Fiction

Ok there are some readers that will know I love The Outsiders and that I have also mentioned my love of some, not all, The Outsiders Fan Fiction.  But here I will share a little bit more on why I love some of The Outsiders Fan Fiction.

To quote from Wikipedia: Fan fiction (alternatively referred to as fanfictionfanficFF, or simply fic) is a broadly-defined fan labor term for stories about characters or settings written by fans of the original work, rather than by the original creator. 

I stumbled across The Outsiders Fan Fiction purely by accident - so much so I can't even remember how and why I found it.  Regardless, I haven't looked back since finding it.

For me it is the ability for the characters to continue to live on once I finished the book that does it for me.  And while some fan fiction is absolutely terrible, others I have found to be quite good - even up there with the original book.

I admit that I don't always feel in the mood to go to it and I have my The Outsiders on and off phases but it is something I keep coming back to.

I have re-read the original book to many times to remember but at times I feel I have out done it (definately not out grown it) - but am over it and want the to see the characters move on and that is exactly what fan fiction has allowed me to do.

Sometimes you find a story that you just shake your head in disbelief at what they put the characters through.  Others try to re-write the original with different endings - some I have liked, others I haven't.

I now have a few fan fiction authors that I have feeds for so I know when they write a new chapter or new story.  It is frustrating at times at how slow they release the chapters but most are very much worth waiting for.  Other stories have been started and left abandoned - I have found a few where it has been a real shame that this has happened.

Did you know that Fifty Shades of Grey started as a Twilight Fan Fiction story?  So fan fiction can be and has been a starter for some successful authors.

Anyway, for those who share my love of The Outsiders - here are some links to what I think have been good stories/authors:

They used to have Wrong Side of the Tracks awards for the best The Outsiders FanFic but it hasn't been updated for many years.

Of course, they also have some YouTube clips where fans have put together some clips from the movie to appropriate or sometimes inappropriate song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4EHMS7a-IU

But if you are an Outsiders fan - you can't go past this website http://www.theoutsidersbookandmovie.com/Index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment