Thursday, December 27, 2012

Blog December Post 28/Blog12daysxmas Post 4 - Core Services?

Excuse my mistake yesterday with the number of Blog December post - it should've been 27 not 28 as 28 is today.

Today's Destiny Card is Care.

On the 4th day of Christmas.... I had an interesting twitter debate concerning core/traditional library services.  This meant that I started thinking about work, duh!

This then lead me to read the latest and final edition of APLIS.  Yes APLIS is no longer being published - which is a bit sad really as it always had some great articles focusing on Australian and New Zealand public libraries.

Anyway, back to the twitter debate.  One article out of APLIS caught my eye (well actually two articles but this was the first one): OUR LEARNING LANDSCAPE: OPPORTUNITIES, CHALLENGES AND
POSSIBILITIES Sue Roberts Chief Executive Officer and State Librarian, State Library of Victoria, Aplis 25(4) December 2012.

The article starts by saying: Libraries are operating in a rapidly changing information, pedagogic and technological environment. In this context, libraries have been redefined as facilitators of access to a world of information far beyond physical collections, providing access to global information through online resources and systems; many have also positioned themselves as facilitators of learning, with the emphasis on informal and lifelong learning, and as physical and virtual spaces for community engagement and connection.

I've sort of blogged about this before and fear I may be sounding like a bit of a broken record but what of the one person library or the libraries that require refurbishing or rebuilding but don't have the funds to do so - will they be left behind?  Will their communities be left without a library or a building full of books that is not being used?  What of our traditional/core services and what are they?

After a bit of searching via Google, I couldn't really find a list anywhere of core library services - I was looking for public libraries.  What are your thoughts on core library services?

Wood County District Public Library lists its core services as:

  • Quality customer service
  • Providing materials and resources that meet the needs and wishes of our diverse and growing community
  • Babies & Preschoolers’ “Door to Learning”
  • Sharing materials within the “Serving Every Ohioan” Library Consortium
  • Bowling Green and Wood County history and genealogy information
  • Connecting the collections to our communities through programming, literacy, bookmobile and outreach services
  • Community gathering place
Do you agree with this list or does the list have to come from the community the library serves?  Does the community determine core services?

There is another interesting article in this edition of APLIS: DEVELOPING PARTNERSHIPS TO DELIVER LEARNING PROGRAMS: THE MOONEE VALLEY EXPERIENCE Troy Watson Manager Library and Learning, Moonee Valley City Council Victoria, Aplis 25(4) December 2012.

It discusses how through collaboration and partnerships, Avondale Heights Library and Learning Centre provides informal and formal training programs.

It seems to be a bit of a theme for libraries in Victoria to be developing learning and/or lifelong learning frameworks - I wonder how long before other states follow?

In my libraries, I know there is a need for basic computer training for the community.  How do I know this, because when I first started working here four years ago, the first thing I did was run computer training sessions.  Each session was fully booked - it wasn't that hard as I only had 7 computers to work with in one branch, five in another and four in another.  So it didn't allow for big numbers of attendees.  We also don't have laptops available for use.

I ran the lessons on my Monday - which is technically supposed to be a day for me to catch up on my managerial/running three branch libraries tasks and also attend team leader meetings/book selection at HQ.

In the end I burnt out.  The classes were not sustainable as I was the only one doing them and I had to play catch up with my other tasks.

Since then our library service has subscribed to an online computer tutorial program which is where we direct our library members when asked about computer lessons.  One of our local neighbourhood centres also runs one-on-one lessons at a cost.

I have thought about partnering with a training provider but as we are not set up with a computer training room or laptops - it won't really work well.  Also, I don't believe that those that need computer training the most are in the position to pay for the lessons - so who pays the training provider to run the lessons.

In one of my branches I don't even have the funding to run story time sessions - which I really do consider a core library service.  We had a volunteer doing it for a while but then they asked for employment or payment.  Again not sustainable.

I have a list of possible programs a mile long which I would love to roll out, but can't - not because the need isnt' there but because the resources aren't there nor is the funding.  And don't you worry I keep my eye out for grants all the time - but most ask for some in kind or dollar for dollar funding commitment which won't/can't happen and then if you do get the funds how do you make the program sustainable?

I'm sure I'm not the only one with these challenges and I'm sure that someone out there has a creative mind that may be able to suggest things to overcome these challenges - I'm open to suggestions.

The other thing that I always think about when it comes to library programs in my community is often when we do surveys the community will always say we are doing a great job and they are happy with the services already offered.  My question is - how do they know what they are missing out on if they have never had it on offer before?

Sorry for the long post and ramble and a bit of whinging - which really didn't have much to do with the destiny card of Care - but I care for my communities (as mentioned previously the three libraries I manage all have very different communities) and I care for my library service - which is probably why I get so torn up when discussing programs and resources and funding.

No comments:

Post a Comment