Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Reflection

Reflection is something I have struggled with since finishing up my uni degree. When completing my degree it was something that you had to do in order to complete assignments. You would research, read, reflect and write your findings/thoughts. Since then I find it hard to sit and reflect.

I still read a lot of professional journals, blogs, forum posts, twitter posts and attend workshops, seminars and conferences, but I very rarely find the time to sit down after these moments and really reflect. And I very rarely write any reflection down. Often I just jump straight back into what I was doing - usually catching up with work.

I am currently participating in the ALIA ePortfolio trials and have been keeping an ePortfolio. As it is something I have committed to, I have forced myself to reflect after events. I'm not sure how good I am at it - often it's copying out the notes I've made or tweets I've tweeted during the conference (something I've only just started doing) and looking at how what I've learned may be applied to my work/life. I have found it easier to reflect on events than on articles I read. I'm not sure why.

Some of the reason why I'm participating in #blog12daysxmas is because it is a exercise in reflection. Often on my daily walks/swims I will be thinking about things, reflecting on what has happened over the day(s), weeks, months, years and come up with some things that I should note down. But I don't carry a notebook with me when I walk/swim so by the time I return I'm either back in the thick of things at work, or ready for some downtime at home.

What tools and techniques do others use to reflect? Do you have some questions you come up with prior to attending a workshop, forum, seminar, conference, or reading an article that you then try to answer? How do you make time after attending an event or reading an article to reflect on it? Do you always write it down? If so, where do you write it down? Do you have someone you can talk to/email about it so that there is a bit of bouncing off each other happening and a more indepth reflection?

I'm interested in what others do!!

1 comment:

  1. I generally write notes down from Conferences or workshops then retype them on my blog. Once I am back in the office typing etc. it makes me actually action the things I have listed.

    With other reflection though (such as reading) I am really bad at following anything up on. This is probably because I do it in my own time and don't have my PC within arms reach to take anything further. Maybe that's something I need to work on...

    ReplyDelete